Friday, June 03, 2005

Fictional systems

In my ongoing campaign to demonstrate that successful computer scientists have interests outside of computer science, I will use this issue of OS Junkie to introduce you to some of my favorite fiction, written mainly by and about... computer scientists. So much for diversity of interests. However, I find that I derive a strange sense of self-worth from reading fiction in which the main characters identify themselves as "programmers-at-arms" and the like. Professional computer-wrangling, while vital to the modern world as we know it, is still an arcane, out-of-the-way occupation whose practitioners are viewed with good-natured incomprehension and pity by society at large.

This fiction about computer scientists, as you may have already inferred, falls under the heading of science fiction. "Ew," you cry, wrinkling your LCD-tanned nose, "Science fiction, that's low art, unfit for serious personages such as myself. In what little time I spare from the pressing my nose to the grindstone of Serious Science, I read real literature, such as Bridget Jones' Diary and the 10th novel in the Wheel of Time series." It is true - as in any genre, science fiction has its share of total crap. However, you, dear reader, have already self-selected yourself as a person very likely to enjoy what I am about to recommend, by the virtue of reading a weblog about... systems papers. (Really, you ought to be ashamed of yourself!)

The first author I recommend is Charles Stross. I heard him speak at a panel on the Singularity at the 2003 World Science Fiction Convention and bought the only publication of his available on Amazon.com on the strength of about 5 minutes declamation. I knew Stross was my kind of writer when I read the following, from "Antibodies" (part of the Toast short story collection):

I was elbow-deep in an eviscerated PC, performing open-heart surgery on a diseased network card, when the news about the traveling salesman theorem came in. Over on the other side of the office John's terminal beeped, notification of incoming mail. A moment later my own workstation bonged.

"Hey, Geoff! Get a load of this!"

I carried on screwing the card back into its chassis. John is not a priority interrupt.

I think this was one of the all-too-rare occasions when I severely irritated my seatmate on the plane by gasping and giggling repeatedly throughout the story. It was like someone plugged into my brain and started beaming dreams directly into my cortex.

It gets better; Stross's best story (in my opinion) is available online: Lobsters. A good quote:

The box rings. Manfred rips the cover open and pulls out the phone, mildly annoyed. "Yes, who is this?"

The voice at the other end has a heavy Russian accent, almost a parody in this decade of cheap online translation services. "Manfred. Am please to meet you; wish to personalize interface, make friends, no? Have much to offer."

"Who are you?" Manfred repeats suspiciously.

"Am organization formerly known as KGB dot RU."

"I think your translator’s broken." He holds the phone to his ear carefully, as if it’s made of smoke-thin aerogel, tenuous as the sanity of the being on the other end of the line.

"Nyet–no, sorry. Am apologize for we not use commercial translation software. Interpreters are ideologically suspect, mostly have capitalist semiotics and pay-per-use APIs. Must implement English more better, yes?"

Perhaps the best part about Charles Stross's fiction is that it makes me want to go out there and create the future. Most fiction is escapist, about retreating into a fantasy world where, paradoxically, your inability to effect change allows you to let go of feelings of responsibility and enjoy the show. Even most science fiction falls into this category. But reading a Stross story hits me like a handful of Benzedrine, leaving me hyped up and ready to go found a start-up. I don't just want to see the future, I want to make it, starting now! Where's a keyboard and the nearest agglomeration of supergeeks?

I recommend starting with the Toast short story collection and moving on from there to The Atrocity Archives. If you find it worthwhile, email me (use Google); if you don't like it, especially email me. I'm curious to see the inside of a head that likes this blog but doesn't like Charles Stross's writing.

My next two recommendations require less introduction. Vernor Vinge, recent winner of innumerable Hugo awards, wrote about a programmer-at-arms (how I do love that title) in A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky. Attempting to ascertain which of these novels is better leads to an interminable Emacs-vs-vi style argument among the cognescenti; I have concluded that it's a matter of personal taste (for me, A Fire Upon the Deep and Emacs). Neil Stephenson is perhaps already well known enough that I am wasting precious bandwidth and wear-and-tear on my carpal tunnels by even typing this, but perhaps one or two of my readers have not yet read Cryptonomicon, another novel that makes me want to run out and found a start-up.

And now, an open invitation to send me email about your favorite systems papers, leisure time reading, or hot new start-ups. I usually respond to most email; use of three syllable or longer words, traditional punctuation, and succintness will get you a response sooner. Discovery of my email address is left as an exercise for the reader.

9 Comments:

Blogger miketaft53146320 said...

St0ck For Your Review - FCPG

Current Profile
Faceprint Global Solutions (FCPG)
Current Price $0.15

A U.S. based-company dedicated to the goal of
bringing effective security solutions to the marketplace.

With violent and white-collar terrorism on the rise,
companies are starving for innovative security solutions.


FCPG is set to bring hot new security solutions to
the industry, with currently over 40 governmental and
non-governmental contracts, being negotiated.


Please Review Exactly What this Company Does.

Why consider Faceprint Global Solutions (FCPG)?

Faceprint Global Solutions (FCPG) holds the exclusive
marketing rights from Keyvelop, to sell the world�s
leading encryption technology to be distributed directly
to the Healthcare industry in North America.

Faceprint Global Solutions has completed its biometric
software that recognizes facial features of individuals
entering and leaving through airports, ship yards, banks,
large buildings, etc.

FCPG acquired Montreal-based Apometrix Technologies,
which enhances the companies mission of being a
full-service provider to the multi-application smart
card industry. The North American market appears ready
for significant expansion of price-competitive, proven,
multi-application solutions on smart cards. Apometrix's
forecast of over 300 customers and sales of more than $50
million in North America over the next five years, appears
very realistic, according to company management.


Faceprint Global Solutions is currently in contract negotiations
with over 40 governmental agencies and businesses seeking to use
their encryption, biometric, and smart-card technologies.

Breaking News for Faceprint Global Solutions (FCPG)

Faceprint Global Solutions (FCPG) is pleased to announce that
IBM will now offer the world�s leading encryption software to
its major Healthcare clients in North America.


With FCPG owning the exclusive North American rights to distribute
the worlds leading encryption and transmission software developed by
Keyvelop, FCPG is poised to capture large volumes of sales generated
by customers currently using IBM�s software in the healthcare and other
industries.


�This is a very positive move for FCPG and for Keyvelop,� said FCPG
CEO Pierre Cote. �We are very happy about the decision to go with IBM.
This is a continuation of the progress made by everyone associated
with FCPG and its partners.�

Buell Duncan, IBM's general manager of ISV & Developer Relations commented,
�Collaborating with Keyvelop will ensure that we develop open solutions that
are easy to maintain and cost effective for our customers in the healthcare
and life sciences industry.�

Among other things, this new software technology which is currently
being used by a number of European healthcare companies, is used to
send any file, regardless of format or size. Encryption keys, evidence
of transmission integrity with fingerprint calculation, time-stamping
of all actions and status record updating, pre-checking sender and
receiver identities, validating file opening dates are part of Keyvelop features.

About FacePrint Global Solutions, Inc.

FCPG operates a business, which develops and delivers a variety of
technology solutions, including biometric software applications on
smart cards and other support mediums (apometric solutions). FCPG�s
products provide biometric solutions for identity authentication and a
host of smart card- and biometrics-related hardware peripherals and
software applications. Apometrix, FCPG�s wholly-owned subsidiary,
combines on-card or in-chip multi-application management solutions
with best-of-breed �in-card matching� biometrics. Keyvelop�s secure
digital envelope solution and Apometrix�s on-card biometrics work
together to produce the winning combination in the fields of security,
traceability and identity management.

Conclusion:

The examples above show the Awesome, Earning Potential of little known
Companies That Explode onto Investor�s Radar Screens. This sto,ck will
not be a Secret for long. Then You May Feel the Desire to Act Right Now!
And Please Watch This One Trade!

GO FCPG!

Disclaimer:
Information within this email contains "forward |ooking statements" within
the meaning of Section 27Aof the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21B of
the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Any statements that express or involve
discussions with respect to predictions, expectations, beliefs, plans,
projections, objectives, goals, assumptions or future events or performance
are not statements of historical fact and may be "forward |ooking statements".
"Forward |ooking statements" are based on expectations, estimates and projections
at the time the statements are made that involve a number of risks and uncertainties
which could cause actual results or events to differ materially from those presently
anticipated. We were paid a sum of three thousand USD to disseminate this information
from ir marketing. Forward loking statements in this action may be identified through
the use of words such as "projects", "foresee", "expects", "will", "anticipates",
"estimates", "believes", "understands" or that by statements indicating
certain actions "may", "could", or "might" occur. Risk factors include
general economic and business conditions, the ability to acquire and develop
specific projects, the ability to fund operations and changes in consumer and
business consumption habits and other factors over which the company has little
or no control. The publisher of this newsletter does not represent that the
information contained herein are true and correct.

12:29 AM  
Blogger E-A said...

Hey, you have a great blog here!

I have a ascii code site. It pretty much covers ascii code related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

11:52 AM  
Blogger Publisher said...

Hi Val Henson, I thought I'd just leave this message on your blog. I hope you don't mind. I've been trying to find blogs where people are talking about network security encryption and when I was looking, I found this one on this post. Fictional systems, thought I would say hi, before I go off to find some more network security encryption

5:22 PM  
Blogger lewiswillis3676 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

6:45 AM  
Blogger travisalaxander3364 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

http://pennystockinvestment.blogspot.com

2:11 PM  
Blogger davidmiller9479708216 said...

Get any Desired College Degree, In less then 2 weeks.

Call this number now 24 hours a day 7 days a week (413) 208-3069

Get these Degrees NOW!!!

"BA", "BSc", "MA", "MSc", "MBA", "PHD",

Get everything within 2 weeks.
100% verifiable, this is a real deal

Act now you owe it to your future.

(413) 208-3069 call now 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

2:56 AM  
Blogger sdRay said...

My name is Ray and I just started a new blog about sexual confession. Its a place where you can chat about sexual confession confidentially. I hope you will come and check out www.MySecretConfessionSpace.com. Thanks for letting me post on your site.

7:10 PM  
Blogger gogle said...

Awesome! what a heavy beautiful blog
full software download Full software download

11:34 AM  
Blogger aisha said...

Really a great post.I liked it and i will share it with others too.
1999 Toyota Paseo AC Compressor

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home